Data Storytelling is the art of using communication and data visualization techniques to convey the meaning of the data in a persuading and relevant way to the audience. Data storytelling is the next step after data analysis. As data analysts, after data analysis gets finished, we need to convey our results to managers, stakeholders, or team members. This is where we need the art of data storytelling. If we are not good at data-driven storytelling, our audiences won't understand the depth of our analysis and the results obtained. Good data storytelling skills help the audience interpret our results more easily and make the best data-driven decision. Data Storytelling consists of three key fields of expertise: data analysis, data visualization, and narrative. We need to learn data storytelling techniques to combine the art of speaking and presenting discoveries to convey the results and meaning of data.
TechClass Storytelling through Data Visualization online course is designed to give you the necessary skills for state-of-the-art presenting in a world with a high demand for data-driven decisions. You will grasp key features of preparing and narrating an effective and persuading story as well as basic rules of professional presenting. By the end of this course, you will fully understand communication skills, visualization techniques, decluttering, and designing skills of visuals. Moreover, you will learn about principles of influence and persuading people through data.
- Learn the concept of data storytelling
- Get familiar with the importance of learning data storytelling for data analysts
- Learn how to communicate with the audience
- Learn visualization tools
- Learn which visualization tools are not useful
- Get familiar with what clutter is
- Learn how to declutter a visualization
- Learn about the connection between eye, brain, and memory
- Learn how to persuade people through data
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Intro to Course
- 1.1. Welcome!
- 1.2. About TechClass Data Science Department
- 1.3. Learning Outcomes
- 1.4. Your Expectations, Goals, and Knowledge
- 1.5. Abbreviations
- 1.6. Copyright Notice
Chapter 2: Introduction
- 2.1. What Is Data Storytelling?
- 2.2. Why Do We Need Storytelling?
- 2.3. What Makes a Good Story?
- 2.4. Data Visualization vs. Storytelling with Data
- 2.5. The Storytelling Process
- 2.6. Quiz
Chapter 3: Communication Mechanism
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.2. Your Audiences
- 3.3. Your Main Points
- 3.4. Tones
- 3.5. Rules of Good Presentations
Chapter 4: Storytelling Tools
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. How to Create Good Data Visualizations?
- 4.3. Text
- 4.4. Tables
- 4.4.1. Heatmap
- 4.5. Scatterplot
- 4.6. Line Graph
- 4.7. Bar Char
- 4.8. Waterfall Chart
- 4.9. Distribution Charts
- 4.10. Not Useful Graphs
- 4.11. Quiz
Chapter 5: Decluttering
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. What is Clutter?
- 5.3. Visual Perception Principals
- 5.4. Declutter Process
Chapter 6: Visual Desing
- 6.1. Introduction
- 6.2. Eye, Brain, and Memory
- 6.3. Where to Look
- 6.4. Size and Color
Chapter 7: Persuading with Data
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. What Persuades People?
- 7.3. The Rhetorical Triangle
- 7.4. Help Decision Makers Persuade Themselves
- 7.5. Quiz
Chapter 8: Final Tasks
- 8.1. Self-Study Essay
- 8.2. Project
Chapter 9: Finishing the Course
- 9.1. What We Have Learned
- 9.2. Where to Go Next?
- 9.3. Your Opinion Matters
- 9.4. Congrats! You did it!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
It's not a complicated course and covers a wide range of topics. You will learn how to present your results effectively.
Lots of extra reading is required to gain all insights, thanks to smart exercises.
An interesting and easy course that briefly covers a lot of topics.
so much effort to create such updated content and also filled with beautiful illustrations. I loved it.
- Opens in a new window.